- Associated Press - Monday, September 22, 2014

CHICAGO (AP) - Four men charged last week in the death of a 9-year-old boy who was gunned down in a backyard after running from his Chicago home have been ordered held without bond.

Charged with first-degree murder in the death of Antonio Smith are Derrick Allmon, 19, Jabari Williams, 22, Michael D. Baker, 19, and Paris Denard, 19, whose name had not been released when the charges were first announced Friday. The men were denied bond Saturday.

All four have given statements to the police admitting their involvement in the Aug. 20 killing, prosecutors said. Allmon told the other men that he shot and killed a child after Antonio was shot six times, prosecutors said.

The four men were allegedly targeting rival gang members when they came across the child, Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Friday. Allmon suspected Antonio was warning the targeted men what was about to happen and fired several shots at the boy, he said.

He was killed not far from where he lived in the Grand Crossing neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side. McCarthy emphasized the boy and members of his family have no street gang affiliation.

Online jail records didn’t indicate if the suspects have attorneys.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide