BALTIMORE (AP) - Experts who attended the Food Safety Summit in Baltimore in April should have skipped lunch.
The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene released a report on Thursday that says the chicken Marsala served at a buffet lunch on April 9 during the 2014 Food Safety Summit at the Baltimore Convention Center caused a gastroenteritis outbreak that sickened 216 attendees.
The report says of the 216 attendees who got sick, 157 ate the chicken. Symptoms included diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramps and, in some cases, vomiting. The report says the chicken may not have been kept at the proper temperature.
Centerplate, the convention’s in-house catering company, provided the means at the summit, which attracted roughly 1,300 food safety experts to Baltimore.
Centerplate did not immediately return a call for comment.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.