- Associated Press - Thursday, September 25, 2014

HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (AP) - An emergency rescue official says the longtime owner of a Long Island wedding venue doused himself and his car with gasoline a day before his business was auctioned off.

Dominic Heavey of the Huntington Community First Aid Squad tells Newsday (https://nwsdy.li/1pejY45 ) Ralph Colamussi was found unconscious Tuesday in a Huntington parking lot.

He was listed in stable condition at a hospital.

Colamussi owned the bankrupt Thatched Cottage in Centerport. It was auctioned off on Wednesday for $4.65 million to Suzan Tina Properties, which owns The Sterling banquet hall in Bethpage.

Colamussi suffered financial troubles after the venue was badly damaged in Superstorm Sandy. He owned Thatched Cottage for 26 years.



Huntington Fire Chief Robert Berry says Colamussi apparently planned to set himself on fire but was overcome by fumes.

___

Information from: Newsday, https://www.newsday.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide