- Associated Press - Wednesday, September 3, 2014

SALINA, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a 6-year-old girl has died and her teenage brother is hospitalized after carbon monoxide from a portable generator filled their home in suburban Syracuse.

The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports (https://bit.ly/1qYQ8Rj ) that the state Public Service Commission will investigate the death of the 6-year-old Salina girl to determine what role the termination of electric service at the home played. The agency routinely investigates serious accidents related to utility shut-offs.

Gabriella Collins died Friday. Her father found her and her 14-year-old brother unconscious when he returned to the house. The boy is hospitalized in critical condition.

A National Grid spokeswoman says the utility shut off power to the house in mid-August for unpaid bills. She said power couldn’t be restored until the homeowner repaired a faulty grounding wire.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide