- Associated Press - Friday, September 5, 2014

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - A judge overseeing the case of a Pierre teenager charged in adult court with killing another teen has ruled on several motions that will allow the trial to move forward.

KCCR-AM reports that trial of 18-year-old Braiden McCahren is slated for Sept. 15 in at the Tripp County Courthouse in Winner. The trial date had been postponed at least five times in almost two years.

McCahren has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the December 2012 shooting death of 16-year-old Dalton Williams. McCahren was 16 at the time of the shooting that happened in his home.

Judge John Brown on Thursday limited the number of autopsy and murder scene photos that jurors will be allowed to view. The judge also ruled that the family of the victim could keep wearing the buttons that feature Williams’ face on their clothing.

News organizations will not be allowed to record video of the trial, but Brown said there can be audio recordings. The trial is expected to las two weeks.



Brown earlier moved the trial from Pierre to Winner out of concerns about the ability to select an unbiased jury due to pre-trial publicity.

McCahren is accused of shooting Williams with a shotgun after first pointing the weapon at another teenage boy following an argument about a paintball game. Previous lawyers who represented McCahren argued that the shooting was accidental, but prosecutors have said McCahren has a history of violent, reckless behavior since childhood.

The case centers on whether McCahren knew the gun was loaded when he fired it.

___

Information from: KCCR-AM, https://www.todayskccr.com/

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide