- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 1, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indianapolis officials are working to shore up $13 million in funding needed to start up the BlueIndy electric car share program.

The city, Indianapolis Power & Light and the French conglomerate that owns BlueIndy are in talks about where to get the money, The Indianapolis Star (https://indy.st/1ajdgcR ) reports. In February, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission rejected a city request to boost electric rates so the utility company could pay for 250 charging stations.

The electric car share, which would be the biggest in the country, was announced in summer 2013. BlueIndy’s owner predicted it would begin service in spring 2014. But the only cars currently on the street are ones for demonstration only.

David Rosenberg, the Indianapolis mayor’s deputy chief of staff, didn’t disclose details of talks, but said the city wouldn’t look for funding from the City-County Council.

“First of all, we don’t have $13 million,” said councilman Jeff Miller. “And if we did, I could see IndyGo (city bus service) saying, ‘Hey, we could use that money.’”

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard said talks on BlueIndy funding had progressed up until last week, but that fallout from the signing of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act has since consumed city officials.

“We were close,” Ballard said. “We had most of the parties together on it.”

The Bolloré Group, which owns BlueIndy, has said it would invest $35 million for 1,000 electric cars. Renting them would cost $15 an hour.

___

Information from: The Indianapolis Star, https://www.indystar.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide