- The Washington Times - Friday, April 17, 2015

A student-led event an Ohio high school in which students would wear hijabs for a day has been cancelled after news of the event outraged parents.

Mason High School Principal Mindy McCarty-Stewart apologized and announced the April 23 “Covered Girl Challenge” would no longer take place, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported Friday.

The backlash began when anti-extremist website JihadWatch.org posted an email from school officials earlier in the week that seemingly backed the Muslim Student Association’s event, which the email said was intended to celebrate diversity, the newspaper reported.

“When is a Cross-Wearer’s Challenge day at Mason High? When is a Yarmulke Wearer’s Challenge day at Mason High? Or is it only Islam that gets this treatment?” said Robert Spencer, director of JihadWatch.org, The Blaze reported.

Ms. McCarty-Stewart said the email, which was sent to parents, shouldn’t have been sent by the school since it was a non-sanctioned event.



“This communication should not have come from our Student Activities Department because this was a student-led initiative, rather than a school-sponsored activity,” the principal said in an statement, the newspaper reported. “We will put procedures into place in the future that ensure that any communication from a school email is for a school-sponsored event, and not merely supported by a student-run group.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide