- Associated Press - Thursday, April 2, 2015

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A squatter injured in an early morning fire inside what was supposed to be a vacant apartment building in Hartford has been charged with unlawful burning.

Police say 46-year-old Kenneth Onalty told them he had been living in the building for two months. Police say he started the fire by burning a paper bag.

Firefighters responded to the scene on Main Street near Albany Avenue just before 3:30 a.m. Thursday and pulled Onalty from the second floor.

He was taken to Saint Francis Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Several roads in the area were expected to remain closed until the building, which was gutted by the fire, can be taken down.

The nearby Capital Preparatory Magnet School on Main Street cancelled classes for the day.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide