- Associated Press - Thursday, April 2, 2015

LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) - Lawrence officials say an apartment building fire that displaced 31 residents began accidentally when the property owner was soldering pipes in a first-floor bathroom.

The blaze began at about 12:30 a.m. Thursday and destroyed the three-story building on Elm Street, which was the childhood home of city Mayor Daniel Rivera. No residents were hurt, but a firefighter suffered a minor wrist injury.

Officials say the residents included about 10 children. The American Red Cross is helping the tenants with any housing, food and clothing needs.

Fire Chief Brian Moriarty says the building owner ignited the blaze while soldering the bathroom pipes with a blow torch. He didn’t identify the owner.

The mayor says he lived in the building when his family moved to Lawrence from New York City in 1975.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide