- Associated Press - Monday, April 27, 2015

ST. MARTIN, Miss. (AP) - Many homes in the St. Martin area of Jackson County have been evacuated after lightning caused a gas main to ignite.

Jackson County Emergency Management Director Earl Etheridge tells WLOX-TV (https://bit.ly/1Fsb66V ) the lightning struck an electrical transformer near Malory Drive and Cambridge Boulevard. That strike followed the lines, blew a hole into the gas main and set it ablaze.

Officials say they have evacuated homes within an 800 foot area around the fire. Etheridge says the lines will have to be isolated and repaired before residents will be allowed back home. He said the work could take several hours.

County fire crews and CenterPoint Energy are on the scene working to make repairs.

___



Information from: WLOX-TV, https://www.wlox.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide