- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 8, 2015

YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) - Federal officials say they have finished cleaning up a Yakima home where children were discovered playing with mercury, which is highly toxic.

The Yakima Herald-Republic reports (https://is.gd/QaI8f9 ) a concerned citizen reported the mercury in March. The Environmental Protection Agency says a tenant confirmed the children had been playing with the toxic substance for two months.

EPA workers, in cooperation with the state Department of Ecology and the Yakima Health District, recovered about 4 fluid ounces of mercury from the home.

The EPA reports air monitoring indicated the mercury levels were up to 50 times higher than is considered safe.

Children may suffer learning disabilities and damage to the nervous system when exposed to mercury. Adults may suffer cardiovascular and central nervous system problems.

Officials say everyone exposed at the home has been medically evaluated.


Information from: Yakima Herald-Republic, https://www.yakimaherald.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide