- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 8, 2015

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. (AP) - A man who says he was mistreated by officers in southwestern Michigan during a July 2013 traffic stop is suing police and the city of South Haven.

The Herald-Palladium of St. Joseph and the Kalamazoo Gazette report Michael Kinney sued last month in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids, saying he was placed in a chokehold after his vehicle was forced into a ditch by police.

Kinney says he’s diabetic and was experiencing low blood sugar. He says he had a crushed windpipe and damage to his vocal cords.

Police deny Kinney was placed in a chokehold. He was arrested for fleeing and eluding but wasn’t formally charged.

Chief Tom Martin says officers “were acting under the color of the law and were compliant with all departmental policies and procedures.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide