- Associated Press - Thursday, April 9, 2015

BOSTON (AP) - Two Springfield residents have pleaded guilty to running a “kidnap scam,” in which they extorted money from victims by threatening physical harm to loved ones they claimed to hold captive.

Jose Carrasquillo and Jennifer Rodriguez pleaded guilty Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court to attempted extortion and other charges.

Carrasquillo was sentenced to serve one year of 2 ½-year sentence. Rodriguez was ordered to serve a month of a 2 ½-year term.

Prosecutors say they called a Revere woman and told her that her daughter had been involved in a car accident with the caller’s cousin. The caller said the cousin had a gun to the daughter’s head and would kill her if the victim didn’t do as she was told. The woman wired $1,000 to Rodriguez.

An East Boston woman was defrauded of $3,800 in a similar manner.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide