- Associated Press - Saturday, August 1, 2015

CLEVELAND (AP) - A federal agency says it is investigating the death of a worker in Cleveland who apparently was overcome with chemical fumes while stripping the glaze off a bathtub.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration says it is looking into the Wednesday death of a man who worked for a suburban Cleveland bathroom refinishing company. The worker wasn’t named.

Preliminary reports indicate the worker may have been exposed to methylene chloride while deglazing the bathtub in a poorly ventilated bathroom. OSHA said the worker did not appear to have been wearing gloves or using a respirator while applying methylene chloride to the tub.

The agency says 14 people have died nationwide since 2000 related to bathtub refinishing with stripping agents containing methylene chloride.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide