- Associated Press - Monday, August 10, 2015

AVALON PARK, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a construction crew using propane tools had been working in a central Florida Wal-Mart store where 13 employees were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire rescue crews were called to the store after 3 a.m. Sunday when employees began complaining of headaches and dizziness. First responders detected very high levels of carbon monoxide and evacuated the Avalon Park store.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Kathleen Kennedy told local media that levels of carbon monoxide reached 400 parts per million inside the store by 4 a.m. Sunday. Levels above 35 parts per million are considered excessive.

Authorities say seven people were taken to the hospital as a precaution. Others were treated at the scene.

An investigation continued, but the store was cleared to reopen around 7:30 a.m. Sunday.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide