- Associated Press - Thursday, August 13, 2015

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Four people remain hospitalized after a chlorine leak that sickened more than a dozen people at a Spokane recycling company.

The state Department of Ecology is investigating the Wednesday incident at Pacific Steel and Recycling.

The Spokane Fire Department says the gas released was chlorine, which dissipates quickly. Workers monitoring air quality in the area have found no residual chlorine particulates.

Most of the people who became sick reported respiratory issues.

The gas, which was released in a yellow plume just before 10 a.m. Wednesday, came from a big cylinder that Pacific workers were crushing for scrap metal.

Nearly 100 firefighters and paramedics responded Wednesday to Pacific Steel, where hazmat crews hosed off workers who had stripped to their underwear.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide