- Associated Press - Thursday, August 13, 2015

ORTING, Wash. (AP) - Ninety-three veterans and their spouses safety evacuated from the Washington Soldiers Home in Orting, Washington, on Thursday because of smoke.

KING-TV reports (https://is.gd/7AVOBd ) firefighters say there was the problem with the ventilation system pulling smoke into the building.

Apparently, a fan motor overheated and caused the smoke that flowed into some rooms from the attic above the kitchen.

Originally, the incident was called a two-alarm fire, but crews discovered there was no fire — just smoke.

Nurses at the home said they practice emergency drills every month, so the residents were prepared.



The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs says no residents were injured, but one staff member was treated for smoke inhalation.

___

Information from: KING-TV, https://www.king5.com/

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide