- Associated Press - Sunday, August 16, 2015

FORT DEFIANCE, Va. (AP) - Two state historical markers being dedicated this weekend are recognizing a pioneering church in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley and the clergyman who helped spread the faith.

The dedication Sunday was scheduled at the Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church near Fort Defiance in Augusta County. The church was opened in January 1749, making it Virginia’s oldest Presbyterian church in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The church replaced a log meeting house. Since then, the sanctuary has been enlarged and updated.

A separate marker will pay homage to the Rev. John Craig, the Irish-born pastor. He also tended the Tinkling Spring flock. He helped establish Presbyterianism in the Shenandoah Valley.

This year marks the 275th anniversary of the founding of the congregation that built Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church.



Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide