- Associated Press - Monday, August 17, 2015

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Officials say a 12-year-old boy has been hospitalized after showing symptoms of an overdose of a synthetic drug called spice.

Authorities responded around 4 p.m. Saturday to an area in northeast Anchorage after receiving a call about a boy who had possibly taken spice and overdosed.

The boy was spotted in the roadway by a passerby and “was throwing up and speaking gibberish,” Anchorage Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Castro wrote.

Police said the boy was unconscious when they transported him to the hospital.

According to Castro, the boy’s mother told police that she had spoken with her son an hour prior to the incident and that he “sounded fine and told her he was going to do his chores.”



It is still unknown where the 12-year-old boy obtained the spice drug.

The latest incident is one of nine spice-related calls that Anchorage police responded to over the weekend. They have had to deal with more than 90 spice-related reports since July 31.

Spice, which is a chemical mixture of herbs and man-made chemicals, was once sold in gas stations and convenience stores and marketed as incense or potpourri.

City and state lawmakers have banned the drug. Police are continuing to investigate the recent spike in spice use.

___

Information from: KTVA-TV, https://www.ktva.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide