- Associated Press - Monday, August 17, 2015

CHESTERTOWN, Md. (AP) - The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says a fire that destroyed a building at an Eastern Shore college started in a plastic smoker’s receptacle outside the building.

Saturday’s fire caused $3.5 million in damage at Washington College in Chestertown. The Fire Marshal’s Office says surveillance video shows that the blaze began in the receptacle spread to mulch and vegetation before reaching the building, which was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

Some 80 firefighters battled the blaze for 2 ½ hours.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide