- Associated Press - Tuesday, August 18, 2015

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A woman faces charges on accusations she attempted to interfere with an investigation of a group home in Central Texas that she ran.

A Friday raid led to the removal of 22 people at the home in Austin that authorities say was operating illegally and kept residents in rooms with no air conditioning, the Austin American-Statesman (https://atxne.ws/1TRcsLt ) reported.

An arrest affidavit states Renee Segura-Livingston told residents not to answer questions from police and ripped patient wrist bands from their arms while paramedics worked to triage them for medical care.

A court order shuttered the home operated by Segura-Livingston, the owner of God’s Blessings. She’s charged with interfering with public duties.

It wasn’t immediately known if she has an attorney. A message was left with her business line at God’s Blessing office in Austin by the newspaper.

A judge ordered the 45-year-old to cease all operations after she refused to cooperate for months with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, which had determined she was operating an unlicensed assisted living facility in Belton.

The department had required her to either decrease the number of residents to less than four or stop providing services that amounted to assisted living. There were 35 residents at the Belton facility.

Court documents show that staff had chained the doors at night to prevent residents from leaving. An affidavit by a department investigator shows that Belton police had received several reports of sexual activity between staff and residents. A police officer told the investigator he didn’t believe many of the residents had the mental capacity to give consent to sexual encounters.

Belton police and the investigator also noted cockroaches and the smell of urine at the facility.

The department contacted Segura-Livingston on Thursday to let her know that investigators would visit the facility on Friday. Officials say that the home was still in operation Thursday afternoon, but when they arrived Friday morning, the building was empty.

Investigators then began searching addresses known to be connected to Segura-Livingston and discovered the group home in Austin on Friday afternoon.


Information from: Austin American-Statesman, https://www.statesman.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide