- Associated Press - Friday, August 21, 2015

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) - A former Kent County assistant prosecutor who authorities say tried to rape a woman on a date has pleaded no contest to aggravated stalking.

The Grand Rapids Press reports (https://bit.ly/1LnwFXs ) 61-year-old Mark Vandermolen entered the plea Friday and is expected to serve two years of probation in an agreement with prosecutors. A no contest plea isn’t an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing.

The plea came after a mistrial was declared in his case last month. Sentencing is Sept. 29.

Vandermolen had been charged with assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. Prosecutors said he assaulted the woman last year in an attempt to have sex. The defense said the acts were mutual until the woman said no and then Vandermolen stopped and took her home.

___

Information from: The Grand Rapids Press, https://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide