- Associated Press - Thursday, August 27, 2015

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) - Newport’s Gateway Center is getting a makeover.

The Newport Daily News (https://bit.ly/IX5CGL ) reports that the City Council voted to commit money to expand the center, currently occupied by the region’s visitors and convention bureau, Discover Newport.

The federal government would be responsible for 90 percent of the costs, which could top $7 million. The city would be responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

Officials with Rhode Island Public Transit Authority say they are deciding how to spend funding for damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. The structure’s white canopies were blown away in the storm and never replaced, leaving a skeletal steel structure.

Funding decisions are set to be finalized before the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30.

Both the city and RIPTA must support the chosen redesign.

___

Information from: The Newport Daily News.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide