- Associated Press - Friday, August 28, 2015

BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) - A fire in a chemistry lab at Western Washington University was apparently caused by an accidental chemical spill.

Bellingham Fire Marshal Jason Napier told The Bellingham Herald (https://is.gd/XQacGL ) a student was getting ready to dispose of a mix of chemicals and spilled the liquid on the floor Tuesday evening.

Napier says vapors from the chemicals, which included acetone and hexane, found an ignition source in the lab and caused a flash-fire. The liquid continued to burn until sprinklers went off.

Napier says a few lab supplies were burned. No one was injured when the fire took off. Bellevue fire officials say there were six students and a professor in the third-floor lab at the time.

Some firefighters were sent to the hospital for evaluation after they inhaled an unknown gas when they entered the building.


Information from: The Bellingham Herald, https://www.bellinghamherald.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide