- Associated Press - Tuesday, August 4, 2015

HONG KONG (AP) - The Hong Kong Football Association says local fans aren’t being purposely shut out of a World Cup qualifier against China next month.

Hong Kong media reported Tuesday that only 2,000 tickets had been allocated to Hong Kong fans for the Sept. 3 qualifier against China at a 40,000-seat stadium in Shenzhen, fewer than the 8 percent allocation usually provided to visiting fans for international matches.

Hong Kong fans booed the Chinese national anthem at World Cup qualifiers in June, prompting speculation fewer tickets were being allocated as a punishment to local fans.

However, HKFA vice-chairman Pui Kwan-kay told the South China Morning Post the 2,000-ticket allocation to Hong Kong fans was fair given that only 32,000 total tickets would be sold for the match due to security concerns.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide