- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 5, 2015

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A 58-year-old Baton Rouge man has died after he rushed back into his burning house to fight a fire that authorities say was started by a child playing with a lighter.

East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner Dr. Beau Clark tells local media that Martin Osigwe died Monday night of carbon monoxide toxicity.

Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte says investigators found Osigwe dead in a bedroom. Authorities believe Osigwe attempted to extinguish the fire by throwing buckets of water on the flames. Four other people in the home were able to escape uninjured.

Monte says the fire was started by one of the three children who was playing with a lighter on a bed. He says the child, who is no older than 10 years old, will not be charged.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide