- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 5, 2015

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Martin County will receive state disaster aid following a June 22 severe storm.

The money comes from a new state program designed to help counties deal with smaller-scale local emergencies that don’t rise to the level of federal disasters.

Preliminary assessments showed the storm caused nearly $60,000 in damage. The Star Tribune (https://strib.mn/1T4lIeQ ) reports Martin County will receive 75 percent - or $44,800 - to reimburse the cost of debris removal and repairs to public utilities around the cities of Ceylon, Fairmont, Sherburn and Welcome. The southern Minnesota county is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

Gov. Mark Dayton approved Martin County as the first in the state to benefit from the fund outside of a major federal disaster declaration. About $1 million is in the fund right now.

___

Information from: Star Tribune, https://www.startribune.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide