GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) - Health officials say a Mesa County woman who contracted a bacterial disease known as rabbit fever is recovering after being hospitalized.
The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel reported Friday (https://goo.gl/pW3eHR ) that it’s the first case of tularemia in the county since 2011.
Health officials say the woman was likely exposed during a rafting trip on the Colorado River in McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area last month. The woman told health officials she was bitten by insects and three days later started feeling sick, with open sores, sweats, and chills.
Mesa County Health Department spokeswoman Katie Goddeyne says human cases of tularemia have been on the rise statewide. There’s been 25 cases this year, compared to 16 cases for all of 2014.
Tularemia is carried by several animals, including rabbits and squirrels.
Information from: The Daily Sentinel, https://www.gjsentinel.com
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.