- Associated Press - Sunday, August 9, 2015

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Authorities say a fire at a Layton apartment that killed a dog started after a woman put out a small kitchen fire with a towel and threw it in the laundry.

Firefighters say that crews rescued a child from the railing of a second-story balcony in the Saturday morning blaze that also caused about $100,000 worth of damage to two apartments located about 24 miles north of Salt Lake City.

Firefighters say it started after the woman put out a small fire in the kitchen and tossed the towel in the laundry room to be washed later.

Layton Fire Department Battalion Chief Brad Wilkes says investigators believe the towel was still smoldering and sparked the blaze that spread through the apartment.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide