Stars react to the 73rd annual Golden Globe nominations announced Thursday in Beverly Hills, California:
- “I generally frown upon being slapped and awakened by my wife screaming at me at 5:30 in the morning, but when she’s ecstatic I make an exception.” - Will Smith on how he discovered his nomination for best actor in a drama film for “Concussion.”
- “Today, two fantastic things happened: My work on ‘Jane the Virgin’ was recognized and celebrated by some of my favorite people for a second year, and my student loans from the university that taught me to act were paid off.” - “Jane the Virgin” star Gina Rodriguez on her nod for best actress in a TV comedy.
- “I think any ceremony that has Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy at it is immediately worth attending. I’m quite excited.” - “The Big Short” director Adam McKay, who is up for best screenplay, on his famous friends also nominated for awards.
- “I’ve got to admit that we did each have a glass of champagne with breakfast, which is exactly what my character Walter Blunt would have done, but he would probably have had three.” - “Blunt Talk” star Patrick Stewart on how he and his wife celebrated his best actor in a TV comedy nomination while vacationing in Jamaica.
- “I think I got about 15,000 text messages.” - Rami Malek on his family’s response to his nomination for best actor in a TV drama for “Mr. Robot.”
- “I will be celebrating the best way I know how, which is to get a nice hug from my family and go off and shoot a movie.” - “Trumbo” star Bryan Cranston on how he intends to revel in his nomination for best actor in a drama film.
- “This is a real honor for a waitress-singer-actress from New York!” - “American Horror Story: Hotel” star Lady Gaga on what her nod for best actress in a limited TV series means to her.
- “I just want to, like, hug (the Hollywood Foreign Press Association). I want them all to sit on my face.” - “Trainwreck” star Amy Schumer reacting to her nomination for best actress in a comedy film.
- “I am so stinky right now. I was shooting all day yesterday. I was so tired. I didn’t take off my makeup. I didn’t shower.” - “My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” star Rachel Bloom on her physical condition when finding out about her nomination for best actress in a TV comedy.
- “Maybe it will help me get paid a little better. I wouldn’t mind that.” - “99 Homes” co-star Michael Shannon on what his nomination for best supporting actor in a film might do for his career.
AP Entertainment Writers Lindsey Bahr, Lynn Elber and Derrik J. Lang contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.