- Associated Press - Saturday, December 12, 2015

FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) - A Forest City family whose home was heavily damaged in a fire on Thanksgiving is crediting a family cat for saving them.

Justin Benjegerdes tells the Globe Gazette (https://bit.ly/1NMKt09 ) that the cat, named “Miyu,” alerted him to the fire on Nov. 26.

Benjegerdes’ wife was working, and he was home their two young children. Benjegerdes says he had just put the 3-year-old and infant to bed and settled into the living room when he heard the cat meowing on the baby monitor.

When he opened the door to his infant daughter’s room, a plume of smoke came out.

Benjegerdes escaped the house with his kids and the family’s two dogs and three cats. But the home was ruined. Investigators believe an electrical overload sparked the fire.



Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide