- Associated Press - Sunday, December 13, 2015

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding residents across the state to keep an eye on their holiday decorations to avoid a potential fire.

State Fire Marshal Paul Merriman says Christmas trees, candles, lights and more cooking than usual increase the chance of home fires.

Merriman says South Dakotans who have natural trees in their homes should remember to check the amount of water in the stand every day. He also recommends placing the tree away from heat sources, such as fireplaces and heaters.

Merriman says people should also make sure to not use outdoor lights indoors and never place candles on or near a tree. He adds that all houses should be equipped with working smoke detectors on each floor.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide