- Associated Press - Monday, December 14, 2015

SEATTLE (AP) - A federal magistrate on Monday ordered a Stanwood, Washington, man to remain in custody on a firearms charge after federal prosecutors said he has made threats against law enforcement, judges and the FBI.

Schuyler Barbeau is charged with illegally possessing a semiautomatic AR-15, 5.56 millimeter short-barrel assault rifle that had been modified to fire as a fully automatic weapon.

Federal prosecutors said Barbeau had warned that if the FBI tried to capture him, he had the firepower to put up a large “firefight” and had posted on social media that Timothy McVeigh, the domestic terrorist who bombed the federal building in Oklahoma, was his hero.

The magistrate agreed with prosecutors that Barbeau is a danger to the community and should be detained.

Barbeau’s lawyer, Federal Public Defender Dennis Carroll, declined to comment on Monday.

The FBI agent who investigated the case said Barbeau wanted to sell that rifle and use the money to buy a more powerful firearm, according to the complaint. The agent said Barbeau told a confidential informant that he wanted a gun that fired 7.62-millimeter rounds because they would be more effective in shoot-outs with law enforcement.

Federal agents started watching Barbeau in June after an informant reported that he had made numerous threats against police and the judiciary. The informant told the FBI that Barbeau frequently said the federal government “was not abiding by the principles set forth in the constitution and that many public servants, such as judges and police officers who had sworn to uphold it, had deviated from their oath of office,” the agent said in the complaint.

Barbeau allegedly also said that he and other “like-minded” individuals planned to physically remove a California judge who presided over a misdemeanor firearms case against him in 2014.

The informant said Barbeau was always armed with a .45 caliber pistol and frequently had a short-barreled AR-15 rifle, body armor and a helmet in his vehicle, the complaint said.

The rifle was not registered to Barbeau, the complaint said.

The agent said he tracked Barbeau’s Facebook account and saw that he was actively trying to sell the rifle. The agents set up a meeting between Barbeau and the informant so the person could buy it for $5,000. After the sale on Nov. 22, the informant contacted the FBI, a complaint was filed Dec. 2 and Barbeau was taken into custody within four days.

His preliminary hearing is set for Dec. 21.


Follow Martha Bellisle at https://twitter.com/marthabellisle

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide