- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 16, 2015

CINCINNATI (AP) - A man accused of ignoring guards’ instructions to stop at a security gate at Ohio’s largest military base last month, prompting evacuations, has been charged in federal court, base officials said Wednesday.

A statement from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton said charges were filed in U.S. District Court against Edward Novak, 32, of the Dayton suburb of Beavercreek. Authorities said Novak on Nov. 24 also entered a secure building without authorization before he was challenged by employees. They said he didn’t have a weapon.

Charges against Novak include trespassing, assault, inducing panic and making false alarms, according to court records. The other counts are operating a vehicle under the influence, failure to comply with a lawful order, fleeing and eluding a police officer and disorderly conduct.

Court records did not list an attorney for Novak. Calls to his home on Wednesday were met with a busy signal.

“After reviewing all the facts and consulting with our attorneys, we felt filing these charges is in the best interest of the Air Force and the safety of all Wright-Patt employees,” said Col. John Devillier, 88th Air Base Wing and Wright-Patterson AFB Installation Commander.

Base officials said the security response required last month hindered operations at the base for several hours. Devillier has said authorities plan to revise and upgrade security measures, such as adding barricades and winding traffic lanes. Authorities are also considering tactical and procedural changes.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide