- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 2, 2015

NEWBERG TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say faulty wiring in a fluorescent light may have caused a southwestern Michigan fire where an 87-year-old woman died of smoke inhalation.

Cass County authorities say two people and four dogs survived Saturday night, but Phyllis Tucker was pronounced dead at the home in Newberg Township, 40 miles south of Kalamazoo.

One of the dogs was taken for treatment.

Sgt. Scott LeRoy of the Michigan State Police Fire Investigation Unit tells the Kalamazoo Gazette (https://bit.ly/1O3lim4 ) the fire started in the family room of the home’s walkout basement.

He says the damage was heavy enough that the cause cannot be conclusively determined, but the wiring may be to blame. Foul play isn’t suspected.



LeRoy says Tucker’s bedroom was in the basement, which may explain why she was unable to escape.

___

Information from: Kalamazoo Gazette, https://www.mlive.com/kalamazoo

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide