- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 2, 2015

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - A Sioux Falls police officer is being credited with helping save members of a family overcome by carbon monoxide gas in their home.

Michael and Marchelle Holloway and their four children ranging in age from 10 to 15 were poisoned by the potentially deadly gas Saturday morning.

“I really didn’t know what was going on,” Marchelle Holloway said. “I jumped up because I was in bed and I fell straight to the ground.”

Michael Holloway was able to get one child outside, and his wife was able to call 911. Officer Ryan Chase, a 17-year veteran of the police force, responded.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. Chase had never encountered it before but knew immediately after arriving at the home that it was a bad situation.



“In I went and just started getting everybody out,” Chase said, adding that the gas made him “light-headed, and my skin felt tingly.”

Police Chief Matt Burns said Chase went “above and beyond the call of duty” by entering the house numerous times at the risk of his own safety to help rescue the family.

The Holloway family spent two hours recovering at a hospital. Michael Holloway’s company has put the family up in a hotel for a week while repairs are made to their furnace - the source of the gas.

The family also plans to buy a carbon monoxide detector.

“I’ve been taught about smoke detectors, but I never, ever thought about (carbon monoxide detectors),” Marchelle Holloway said. “I would spend anything in the world for one now.”

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide