- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 23, 2015

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) - An Alabama couple has filed suit blaming a popular Christmas toy for a fire that badly damaged their home near Huntsville.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday by Judge and George Gregory claims battery-powered hoverboards caught fire on Nov. 23, causing extensive damage but no injuries.

Court records show the couple sued Hoverboards Huntsville. The suit claims the company wouldn’t provide an exchange or refund for two hoverboards wouldn’t charge properly.

The company hasn’t responded in court, and it doesn’t have a listed telephone number. The lawsuit says it’s a shopping mall kiosk.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it is investigating 16 fires in 12 states that have been blamed on hoverboards, which resemble self-balancing electric scooters.

Some U.S. airlines have banned hoverboards because of the potential fire danger from batteries.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide