- Associated Press - Saturday, December 26, 2015

BOSTON (AP) - Police have confirmed the identity of a person killed in a house fire in Westfield.

Investigators say Wednesday’s fire was caused by a portable space heater located close to combustible materials. The fire killed the sole occupant of the home, John R. Enko.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said there were no working smoke or carbon monoxide alarms in the home.

Coan said there have been 125 space heater fires reported to the fire marshal’s office between 2005 and 2014.

He said while the fires aren’t frequent, they are deadly. One of every 16 space heater fires causes a fatality.



A quarter of the fires were caused when materials such as bedding, magazines, newspapers, clothing or furniture were placed too close to the heater.

Nine people have died in fires in Massachusetts this month.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide