- Associated Press - Monday, December 28, 2015

MIAMI (AP) - About 30 people marched outside a Miami immigration detention center in support of a group of men inside on a hunger strike.

One organizer of Sunday’s protest says a federal judge’s authorization for force-feeding the men amounts to torture.

Muhammed Malik told The Miami Herald (https://hrld.us/1ZwW5IS ) that last week’s ruling was an attempt to intimidate the detainees who are protesting “what they consider inhumane treatment tactics.”

Ten men from Bangladesh began the hunger strike Dec. 2 at the Krome Service Processing Center. Three had resumed eating by Dec. 21, when a Miami federal judge authorized Krome medical staff to restrain and force-feed the detainees through nasal-gastric tubes if the hunger strike threatened their lives.

U.S. immigration authorities are scheduled to file a status report on the group with the court Wednesday.



___

Information from: The Miami Herald, https://www.herald.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide