- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 30, 2015

STOWE, Vt. (AP) - Vermont State Police have ruled that a Christmas Eve fire that destroyed a 79-year-old hut situated near the peak of Vermont’s tallest mountain was accidental.

The Burlington Free Press reports (https://bfpne.ws/1mp7j3r ) Trooper Todd Ambroz reported Tuesday that the blaze appeared to have been caused by an error in the operation of the historic Stone Hut’s wood stove.

Ambroz says he couldn’t find anything “intentional or malicious” in investigating the fire, which was first noticed by a Stowe Mountain Resort employee around 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 24.

The hut, located atop Mount Mansfield, is owned and managed by the Vermont Department of Forest, Parks and Recreation. Officials are optimistic that it can be rebuilt.

The hut wasn’t rented to anybody at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.



___

Information from: The Burlington Free Press, https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide