- Associated Press - Monday, December 7, 2015

BATH, Pa. (AP) - Authorities say a fire that killed a 72-year-old Lehigh Valley woman was caused by stovetop cooking.

East Allen Township Fire Chief Barry Frantz told The (Easton) Express-Times (https://bit.ly/1NApnlL ) on Sunday that a man had been cooking in the home’s kitchen, where the fire started. He says it quickly spread to the rest of the house. The home didn’t have working smoke detectors.

The Northampton County coroner says the man’s wife, Joann Stofanak, died from smoke inhalation. Her husband was hospitalized and treated for injuries that aren’t life-threatening.

Frantz says the outcome would have been “very different” if the home had working smoke detectors.

___

Information from: The (Easton, Pa.) Express-Times, https://www.lehighvalleylive.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide