- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 10, 2015

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (AP) - A dozen Westchester County residents have been displaced by a fire that authorities say was sparked by a candle.

The Monday afternoon blaze broke out at 13 South 12th Avenue in Mount Vernon and spread next door to No. 15.

Families at No. 15 were later able to return to their home but two families in the other building had to be relocated.

Fire Chief Edward Steven told the Journal News (https://lohud.us/16OaQRe ) that the blaze started on the second floor after a candle fell on clothes.

Three dogs were rescued from the first floor but firefighters were unable to get to three other dogs on the second floor.

One firefighter suffered an injury to his hand.

The Red Cross was helping the displaced families find emergency housing.


Information from: The Journal News, https://www.lohud.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide