- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 10, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) - A D.C. Council member says a new program to help minority boys in city schools might be sexist and illegal.

Public school leaders announced last month that they plan to spend $20 million on a program intended to help black and Latino boys succeed. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson said addressing the achievement gap among that population is the school system’s “greatest need.”

On Monday, Councilmember Mary Cheh sent a letter to Attorney General Karl Racine asking him to review whether the program violates a variety of city and federal civil rights laws. Cheh says the city’s “female minority students face problems just as serious and debilitating as their male counterparts.”

A spokesman for Racine says he is reviewing the letter.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide