- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 10, 2015

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Nursing home residents from across the state are pushing for Gov. Maggie Hassan to reinstate $7 million worth of Medicaid reimbursement increases that nursing homes recently learned they wouldn’t be getting.

More than a dozen residents and nursing home administrators arrived at the Statehouse on Tuesday with Republican Sen. Jeanie Forrester seeking a meeting with Hassan.

Nursing homes aren’t receiving a $7 million rate increase they had been expecting due to budget shortfalls in the Department of Health and Human Services. The nursing homes have received the increase since 2008 and most created their budgets around them.

Residents and advocates say not receiving the money could result in higher taxes, layoffs or diminished services. Andy Elcik, who lives at The Edgewood Centre in Portsmouth, says he worries the cuts will hurt the employees who take care of him.

“They commit every day, they come in in the worst of circumstances, brave the weather and they come and get me out of bed,” he said.

Forrester has a bill in that would mandate the $7 million go back to the nursing homes as dictated in the state budget.

Hassan’s chief of staff, Pam Walsh, met with the nursing home residents briefly and reiterated Hassan’s reasoning for the cuts. Hassan’s office says increasing the reimbursement rates for nursing home would have resulted in cuts elsewhere.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide