- Associated Press - Friday, February 13, 2015

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - Five apartments in a Mankato house have been evacuated after a blaze that apparently started in a fireplace chimney.

One of the building’s residents tells The Mankato Free Press (https://bit.ly/1FFJCs6 ) he smelled smoke from his third-floor apartment around 8 p.m. Thursday. He says he grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried spraying flames he believed were in the chimney. But he says a neighbor told him there was smoke coming out of the eaves so they alerted everyone else in the building.

Sgt. Jeff Knutson was one of the first police officers to arrive on the scene. He says everyone was able to get out of the house safely. He says it appeared firefighters were able to contain the blaze in the attic and third level of the house.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide