- Associated Press - Friday, February 13, 2015

PALMER, Mass. (AP) - A fire in a Palmer apartment that took the life of a 53-year-old woman was started by a candle.

Investigators announced Friday that they found evidence of a melted candle where the fire in the basement studio started, and have eliminated all other possible causes.

The victim of Monday’s fire, identified as Christine Grinaski, also told a neighbor that a candle had started the blaze, before she succumbed to smoke.

The fire displaced 33 tenants of the 20-unit building. Hard-wired smoke alarms in the common areas activated and alerted residents, but it is unclear if the battery-operated smoke alarms in the individual apartments worked. Many of the smoke alarms not destroyed by the fire were found to have missing or dead batteries.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide