- Associated Press - Thursday, February 19, 2015

ADAMS, Mass. (AP) - An elderly woman has died from injuries she suffered during a fire at her home in northwestern Massachusetts.

Authorities say 88-year-old Eunice St. Hilaire died at a hospital after the fire in Adams on Wednesday evening.

Fire officials told The Berkshire Eagle (https://bit.ly/1Eb7cxS ) that the cause of the blaze was a candle on a night stand in a first-floor bedroom. Authorities say St. Hilaire lived alone in the house.

It was the second fatal fire involving a candle in the region this month. A 53-year-old woman died and three people were hospitalized after a fire started by a candle in an apartment building in Palmer Feb. 9. That fire displaced 33 residents of the 20-unit building.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan is urging people to consider using battery-powered candles.

___

Information from: The Berkshire (Mass.) Eagle, https://www.berkshireeagle.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide