- Associated Press - Monday, February 2, 2015

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Veterinarians say a dog is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots the animal had eaten.

The Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center in Philadelphia says the 4-year-old mixed breed named Vince ate parts of both boots on Friday.

Specialists say the volume consumed was so large that the dog’s stomach was unable to pass the material into the small intestines, so the pet underwent surgery Saturday.

Specialists say surgery or endoscopy is often needed when dogs eat something they shouldn’t, since it can obstruct the digestive tract and perforate the intestines.

If pets are experiencing vomiting, lethargy or lack of appetite, it may be a sign a foreign object is present, and the animals should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide