- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 3, 2015

AMHERST, Mass. (AP) - Four Hampshire College employees had to be taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after a boiler malfunctioned in the cafeteria.

The Amherst Fire Department was called to the college’s dining hall at about 3:30 p.m. Monday after two people reported shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Before the ambulance arrived, a third person complained of similar symptoms. A fourth victim went home first before being taken to the hospital. All four worked in the dining hall.

Fire Chief Tim Nelson tells The Republican (https://bit.ly/1vpW3rm) newspaper that medics suspected carbon monoxide.

The dining hall was evacuated.

At first firefighters thought a vent may have been blocked by snow, but eventually determined that one of two boilers in the building was malfunctioning.

The dining hall later reopened on one boiler.


Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, https://www.masslive.com/news/

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide