- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 3, 2015

ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. (AP) - Police exchanged shots with a gunman in the parking lot of a suburban Minneapolis business on Tuesday, touching off a manhunt that led to the lockdown of a supermarket.

Authorities were searching for 41-year-old David Michael Winters, Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek said. Stanek said Winters may be wounded and should be considered armed and dangerous.

Winters was described as white, 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighing 192 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes.

The morning shootout sent officers scrambling after the gunman. They searched a home in Hopkins, swarmed a Byerly’s grocery store in St. Louis Park and converged on a block on the western edge of Edina. Northbound Highway 169 was shut down north of Crosstown Highway 62 briefly while authorities recovered the suspect’s abandoned car, the Star Tribune (https://strib.mn/1F2x39R ) reported.

Police said the car had bullet holes.

By midafternoon, the search spread to Jordan, southwest of Minneapolis, where public school classes were in a modified lockdown, according to the district superintendent. Officers with large vehicles took up positions not far from the high school.

“There was no danger to any of our schools,” Superintendent Matt Helgerson said. “We just did it as a precaution advised by the Jordan Police Department.”

Stanek said police were called about a man with a gun outside a St. Louis Park business around 9:45 a.m. A man was inside a vehicle in the parking lot, and shots were fired when officers arrived. No officers were hurt.

The suspect fled in a green Honda Civic and was seen entering Byerly’s, Stanek said. The store was put on lockdown, and employees were escorted to waiting buses. But the store was cleared, and the suspect was not found, the sheriff said.

Trent Dore, owner of Indelco Plastics Corp., said he saw police and the gunman open fire on each another outside his business in St. Louis Park.

The gunman’s car was first spotted by an employee behind the business, prompting workers to try twice to get him to leave. It was during that second attempt, Dore said, that the employee “saw a gun on the front seat. He backed away.”

Police were called and about six squad cars “surrounded the vehicle,” Dore said. He said police and the gunman fired at each other.

“Somehow, he got out of the lot,” Dore said. “He went flying through the lot.”


Information from: Star Tribune, https://www.startribune.com



Click to Read More

Click to Hide